Future Beacon Option
If you already applied to UMass Boston but were not admissible, the Future Beacon Option lays out a plan for you to transfer to UMass Boston at a later date. While your academic credentials do not quality for admission to UMass Boston at this time, follow these steps to become a UMass Boston student in a future semester:
- Choose a regionally accredited institution, such as a local community college.
- Complete 12 credits of college level course work at a 2.5 GPA or higher. We recommend courses in the Arts and Humanities, Social and Behavioral Sciences, Natural Sciences, and English Composition (above the 100 level).
- If you return to an institution you previously attended, your cumulative GPA must also be at least a 2.5 to be admissible. Additionally, if you have previously taken courses at UMass Boston, you must be in good academic standing.
- Remedial/college preparatory courses are not considered college level, and therefore will not fulfill the requirements. Pass/fail courses will also not meet the requirements
- Reactivate your application by submitting the Reactivation Form. The Office of Undergraduate Admissions will maintain your records from your previous application for one year.
- Submit your updated official transcripts from the new institution you attended. Be sure to send these transcripts and your Reactivation Form prior to any posted deadlines for the new semester you would like to apply for.
Note: Successful completion of the Future Beacon Option does not guarantee admission to the Nursing, Engineering, or Management (Business) programs at UMass Boston. Other majors or programs may also be excluded based on limited availability or special requirements.
If you have questions, please feel free to contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at 617.287.6100.