We make transferring credits easy. Learn how your credits will apply to a UMass Boston degree:
General Transfer Credit Criteria
- Courses must be completed at a regionally accredited higher education institution. To confirm if your institution is accredited by one of our approved accrediting organizations, you may consult the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
- Courses must be a C- or higher (Nursing prerequisites typically need to be a C or C+ depending on your program; see our nursing webpage for more specific prerequisite criteria).
- A maximum of 90 credits can be transferred from a four-year school and 70 credits from a community college.
- Course content is comparable in scope to coursework offered at UMass Boston.
- Courses taken Pass/Fail are only eligible to transfer if the transcript key equates these courses to a C- (due to COVID-19, all P grades from Spring 2020, Fall 2020, and Spring 2021 are eligible to transfer).
- Some specific transfer credit policies apply by college.
- Credits earned outside the U.S. may require evaluation by an independent credential evaluation service. Click here for more information.
These sheets are a great resource for students planning ahead. See which courses are required for each of our academic colleges.
Use our Transfer Course Database, Transferology, to match UMass Boston courses with your current institution. Or schedule an appointment with one of our transfer counselors to discuss how your transfer credits fit into a specific program.
- Students can earn college credit by demonstrating proficiency through Advanced Placement (AP) and College Level Examination Program (CLEP) exams.
- Students are eligible to transfer in up to 90 test credits.
- The AP Credit Policy Chart and the CLEP Credit Policy Chart both show the AP and CLEP scores required to receive college credit. To receive credit for AP and CLEP, have The College Board send official copies of your scores to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. UMass Boston's CEEB # is 3924.
- Your military education and experiences are eligible to transfer in for college-level credit.
- In order to have your credits evaluated, please make sure to submit official copies of your military transcripts:
- Between 70-90 transfer or test credits are eligible to apply toward your bachelor’s degree at UMass Boston. Students must complete 30 credits at UMass Boston in order to earn a UMass Boston degree.
- Transfer credits can apply to the following:
- General Education Requirements
- College requirements (different colleges may have different graduation requirements)
- Major Requirements
- Elective Credit
- Create a free account with Transferology and get access to our course database.
- Search to see what classes are eligible to transfer from your current institution to UMass Boston.
- Run a degree audit to see what courses are required for your major of choice.
- Note: these results are unofficial. Admitted students will be provided an official transfer credit evaluation upon admission.